Personalized & Professional Care, Always
Concussion Assessment Services in Deer Park
Head Injury Assessments in Deer Park
At Community First Emergency Room, we perform concussion assessments to help our patients understand how severe their head injuries are. We work quickly to provide you with care and assessment because we know the injuries you sustain are severe. With compassion, we’ll listen to you and provide you with the assessment you need!
We don’t believe in a ‘one size fits all’ approach; each patient gets unique treatment for their needs.Contact Us
Diagnosing Concussions In an Emergency Room
According to the CDC, nearly 2.8 million people suffer from concussions each year in the United States. Concussions are a type of traumatic brain injury, and can occur when the head is hit by an object or when the body is violently shaken. Symptoms of a concussion can include headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, difficulty concentrating, and difficulty remembering. If you suspect that you or someone else has suffered a concussion, it is important to seek medical attention immediately.
In an emergency room setting, our doctors will typically order a CT scan to assess for any structural damage to the brain. We will also perform a neurological exam to check for any cognitive or motor impairments. If a concussion is diagnosed, patients will usually be advised to rest and avoid activities that could further injure the brain. In severe cases, concussions can lead to long-term problems with memory and thinking. As a result, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible following a head injury.
Healthcare the Community First Emergency Room Way
Concussion Treatment Options in Deer Park
While most concussions will resolve on their own over time, there are some treatment options that can help to speed up the process. For example, many people find that wearing a neck brace or taking pain medication can help to relieve some of the symptoms associated with a concussion. In some cases, physical therapy may also be recommended in order to help the individual regain their strength and balance. With proper treatment and care, most people will make a full recovery from a concussion within a few weeks.
Importance of Diagnosing a Concussion Early
Diagnosing a concussion early following a head injury is crucial for several reasons, including:
- Identifying a concussion early can lead to prompt treatment, which may help reduce the severity of symptoms and prevent further injury.
- Early diagnosis can help prevent the person from engaging in activities that could exacerbate their symptoms and cause further damage.
- Concussion symptoms may not appear immediately after the head injury, and delaying diagnosis can lead to delayed treatment and potentially worse outcomes.
- A emergency room can perform specialized tests to accurately diagnose a concussion and assess the extent of the injury.
- Early diagnosis can help the individual receive appropriate accommodations at school or work to support their recovery.
- If left untreated, a concussion can lead to long-term cognitive and behavioral changes, such as memory loss, mood swings, and difficulty concentrating. Early diagnosis and treatment can help mitigate these risks.
You can turn to Community First Emergency Room for care and compassion. If you experience a concussion in Deer Park, we’ll be there to help. Visit us or contact us at (281) 343-3134. We’re available 24/7!
Deer Park, TX 77536
No Wait Times